Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Week 1

From: Collin Boren
Date: Tue, Jul 19, 2011 at 11:35 AM
Subject: 1st week

Hey everyone how is everything going!
I miss you all a lot and wish that I could see you but I know that I am where I am suppose to be! I loved hearing from all of your e-mails but if everyone could create an dearelder.com account it would be extremely beneficial because then I won't have to use my time on the computer to read your e-mails. They just turn it into a hard copy so I can read it on P-day and then spend more time writing. Leaving everyone was very hard and very emotional, you have all helped me so much throughout my life and I want to thank you all for that. Leaving Andrea Tuesday night and leaving my family on Wednesday morning was tough, you have all been such good examples to me in my life. Please let me know if there is anything I can do for any of you.
Anyways when I first got to the MTC they kept us really busy and we had to go to a lot of orientations and meetings. I think they did it so we wouldn't get home-sick right of the bat. We went and had to check in with immunizations Thursday and I didn't need any so I guess I got lucky to not have to get shot. Oh by the way mom and dad did you guys get my short letter, I sent it on Friday and hopefully you got it. I got Andrea's letter and it was really nice to read, so if anyone needs my address ask Andrea for it. My companion's name is Elder Tafiti and he is from Hawaii, he is really cool and we get along really well. He is really small ha so I guess not all Samoans are big people lol. I've taken pictures but for some reason they won't allow us to upload them onto the computer here so I guess I'll have to send them when I get to the field. We have had so many spiritual study and classes it's unbelievable lol! It's good though, it helps invite the spirit and missionaries need that more than anything. Our language classes our going pretty well. I'm learning a lot so far, it is a hard language because the people down there slur all their words and it's hard to understand them. I have been doing everthing I can to prepare to be ready for when I enter the field and hopefully the Lord will bless me with the spirit, a stronger testimony, and learning the language quickly. I know that there will be tough times throughout my mission but I also know that there will be amazing experiences if I follow my Savior. Everything we are learning is very basic and we are taught to keep it at a primary kids level. We don't want to confuse anybody ha ha. We have went through a practice on 'building bridges with people.' Pretty much getting to know them before we start into the lesson and create a relationship in which they are comfortable with us. We have also worked on teaching lessons and it was challenging the first time but we are starting to get the hang of it. We are preparing for a thing called TRC and that is we have to teach an investigator that comes to the MTC, so like it would be a real lesson. I'm excited and nervous at the same time. I'm more nervous about the language task we have to feel. Every week we have to be able to speak Samoan to someone and it progressively gets harder each week. After week 5 we have to teach the whole lesson in Samoan. I am really nervous for that already ha! So if you could all pray for me to learn Samoan and to continue to learn more about the gospel that would be really nice. I have already felt some of your prayers. The days are really long because they are so jam-packed that there is hardly any free-time. Wake up at 6:30 and return to our residency at 9:30. The only time we get off is for meals and a gym hour. The gym was closed until Monday so we had to go play volleyball at the sand pits where we said good-bye. The gym is way better! I got to play some basketball and it was sweet! Their is a kid in our zone who played for Provo High and he is 6'6"! He is really good and funny! I like him a lot his name is Elder Samani like you want some money lol. Like I said it was really good hearing from you guys and thank you for sending the e-mails. Please create a Dear Elder account though because it comes faster than normal mail and it's a hard coy. A few requests from home mom, could you send some of my t-shirts. They don't care what shirts you wear unless they are bad so could you send me some of that, and could you send my my Hurley hat that Andie gave me! Everyone wears hats! Ha ha scary experience happened. I lost Andrea's ring! It was so scary and I checked in all the lost and founds and everything and could not find it. Finally I remembered to pray and a few days later it showed up! Ha ha sorry Andrea but for some reason it was in one of my bags. I don't know how it got there but I'm glad I have it now! Dad how is the farm going? How is Jake doing? I miss him a lot and I miss you mom and pops! Thank you for everything you have done to help me get here. I only get 30 minutes on the computer but if you write me some dear elders i'll be sure to send you some letters! Anyways my zone Samoans think that my name will be Elder Poleni over there. Pronounced like Polaynie... They all call us Palagi which is kinda like palangi. lol anyways I know that my Savior lives and he knows each of us all individually. He has atoned for my sins as well as yours. He loves us with a deep love that no one can comprehend. It was good to hear from all of you and I wish you all the best of luck! Thanks for everything again and I love you.
--
Elder Boren

No comments:

Post a Comment